Flint DUI Lawyer
Defending Michigan Clients Against DUI Charges
If you have been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you need to remember that you still have rights under the law. DUI/DWI charges carry harsh penalties that can have a major impact on your life and freedom, which is why it is crucial to hire a DUI attorney with the skill you need to defend your rights.
Attorney Rick Hetherington is committed to defending the rights of clients facing DUI charges in the greater Flint area. He can review the details of your case and devise a legal strategy that can help you avoid jail time, expensive fines, and other serious DUI penalties. Visit our Michigan law office today to find out how he will use his experience and extensive resources to handle every aspect of your DUI case.
What Should I Do if I Am Arrested for DUI?
If you have been arrested for DUI, remember the following things when interacting with law enforcement officers:
- Under the Fifth Amendment of the United States Constitution, you have the right to remain silent if you are detained by police. If police accuse you of driving under the influence, you should exercise this right by not answering any questions until you are able to consult with an experienced DUI lawyer.
- Under the Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution, you have the right to a speedy public trial. The Sixth Amendment also gives you the right to be represented by a lawyer. If you want to build a strong DUI defense, you will need to assert your Sixth Amendment rights.
DUI Laws in Flint, MI
The state of Michigan recognizes and outlaws OWI, or operating while intoxicated. Whenever you get behind the wheel of a vehicle, you are subject to numerous OWI and drunk driving laws that regulate the amount of alcohol you can consume. Police can use a breathalyzer, or breath test, as well as other chemical tests to measure your blood alcohol content to determine your level of intoxication.
The legal limit your BAC can be before you can be charged with a DUI differs depending on your age:
- If you are 21 or older, it is illegal to drive a vehicle with a BAC level of .08% or higher
- For drivers under the age of 21, it is illegal to drive with a BAC level that is higher than .02%
If you are found operating a motor vehicle with any amount of a schedule 1 drug or cocaine in your body, you can be charged with an OWI without needing proof of impairment.
Penalties for a first time OWI/DUI conviction in Flint, MI can include:
- Prison time
- Fines up to $500
- Community service
- Drivers' license suspension or restriction
- 6 points on your license
- Court-ordered alcohol treatment
- Installation of an interlock ignition device
Drivers with a BAC of 0.17 or higher can be subject to a "super drunk OWI" and harsher penalties.
Were you arrested for operating a vehicle while intoxicated? Reach out to our DUI defense office right away for a free consultation.
A DUI charge and conviction can follow you for the rest of your life. You can face high fines and prison time as well as lose your license.
If you are facing DUI charges, you should hire an attorney at CFlegal. We will aggressively fight to defend your rights and protect your driving privileges. Let our experienced criminal defense attorneys help you out today.
Over 40 Years of Experience
Skilled Local Representation